A job update

Monday last week I saw a full-time, permanent role with a large European consultancy. The job will be based in Oxford, on a client’s site.


  • I made a relatively minor edit to my CV and applied for the role
  • Two hours later I had a follow-up phone call from the consultancy
  • An hour after that the consultancy called back and invited me to a telephone interview the next day (Tuesday)
  • The next day’s telephone interview lasted 58 minutes. It was comprehensive, covered a lot of ground
  • An hour after that the consultancy called and invited me to a face-to-face at their southern-region office in Surrey, in two days time (Thursday)
  • The face-to-face interview was thorough, grilling, detailed
  • Whilst I was on my way home, the consultancy called. They asked if I could attend another face-to-face interview at their head office in Warrington, Cheshire, at 10am the next day (Friday). They went in to a little detail about the embedded role in Oxford. It sounded excellent and well within my skills and experience. I said I would attend the next interview
  • In Warrington, the next day (Thursday), the face-to-face interview was good-natured, but slightly adversarial; we drilled down, in fine detail, in to specific experience, sills, qualifications, and looked at tech and non-tech situations that had arisen throughout my career, and how I had dealt with them.
  • At the conclusion of the session, the interviewer, offered me tea/coffee and asked me to wait while he discussed a few things with his colleague (the person who had interviewed me in Surrey, two days previously)
  • Half an hour later the interviewer returned. He asked if I would attend a meeting, in a few hours time, in Oxford, with the consultancy’s account manager, to see how he felt I might fit in with the end client. He exposed a little more detail about the role. It still sounded excellent, so I agreed
  • Three hours later and one hundred and sixty miles away from Warrington, I met the account manager. We sat in a coffee bar in Oxford and talked, over coffee and cake, about the role, the customer, the personalities, the operational difficulties, and about ourselves, as we established something of our personalities, on the way to building a relationship
  • A few hours later the account manager called me. He said he felt I would fit in very well. He asked me to attend a meeting in two working days time (Monday afternoon) with another consultant who was working onsite with the client, and then – two hours after that – attend another meeting, but this time with the client’s resource manager. I agreed, obviously
  • On Monday afternoon I met, and had coffee with, the consultant. She was nice, we got on well. After an hour we shook hands, she wished me luck for my interview with the client resource manager, which was due to start in an hour
  • Half an hour later the consultancy account manager called me. He said he’d had feedback from the onsite consultant. She had told him I’d fit well in to the organisation, and that I had ticked all of the right skills and attributes boxes for her. He wished me luck with my meeting with the resource manager in half an hour
  • Thirty minutes later I sat down with the resource manager. It was a slightly awkward meeting. We got on well, but she had no detail about the role, she was unable to answer any specific questions about budget, timescale, deliverables. This turned in to a softer ‘getting to know you’ kind of meeting. I felt it went well, even though she was unable to answer some of my questions, whereas I felt I demonstrated, and answered, hers with specifics
  • Two days later (Wednesday afternoon) the consultancy account manager called me with feedback. I hadn’t, apparently, impressed the resource manager too much. She liked me and she liked my style, but I had still, somehow, left her with a slight questionmark as to whether I would fit in or not. She had asked if I could return to meet the head of the project that I would be delivering. I agreed to this. The account manager said that meeting would probably take place early next week, but getting hold of the head of the project was tricky, and could take a while

So here I am, waiting for details of this (final?) interview. Meanwhile, here are some associated facts and figures:

  1. It has been ten working days since I first applied for this role
  2. In those 10 days, I have travelled 465 miles to attend various interviews and meetings for it
  3. I have spent over 8.5 hours driving to/from these interviews and meetings
  4. While all this has been going on, my application rate has fallen (obv). I am now hitting an average of just 20 job applications a day.

It’s not as if I’m *not trying* to get back in to work.

ps: despite not working since January, I’m still not receiving any kind of benefits/financial assistance from the state.

This entry was posted in Journal. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A job update

  1. S says:

    Do they cover your expenses? I do hope so x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *